Monday, December 08, 2014

Interview with the 2014 NIRCA XC Women's Champion Cara Donohoe




Cara Donohoe finishing first at the NIRCA XC Championships
The Minnesota grad student led from start to finish on the mostly flat 6K course building a seemingly safe gap on a  pack of  eight runners. It wasn't until the final stretch that  Illinois’ Emma Grimes broke from the chase group and made the finish unexpectedly close. 

Donohue, the 2013 runner-up and overwhelming pre-race favorite, won with a time of  22:24. Grimes finished in 22:29. Below Donohoe talks about the race, her approach to competitive running, and her plans for the future.

Down the Backstretch:  How did you approach this year’s NIRCA XC Championships?  It was your last collegiate XC race.  Since you were second last year did you think about winning or just developing a race plan and hope for the best?

Cara Donohoe: My strategy for most races is to think about another person or a cause that I want to run my race for.  While it’s exciting to race well and to win or PR, there is always at least one point during races that I want to give up.  I find that I am much more motivated to press on during the race for someone or something outside of myself.  

For instance, one race this season, I decided to run for one of the patients I have been working with at the VA Medical Center that has been inspirational to me.  Having said that, winning NIRCA Nationals has been in the back of my mind since last year when I came in second place.  Over the years, I have gradually increased my confidence in my ability to run my race and my intent was on winning this year.

DtB:  You said it felt good to end your collegiate career “on a high note.”  When did you realize you were going to win it?  What were the feelings afterward?  Big celebration or just another race?

CD: While I haven’t had an especially long racing career, I have had some disappointing seasons due to injury and anemia, which greatly effected my racing capabilities.  Being able to run healthy and calm is one of the best feelings.  

For both regions and nationals this year, I raced alone for the majority of the race, which presents its own challenges.  While I knew I had a significant lead, I wasn’t sure if I had won until I hit the final straightaway of the race toward the finish line.  As soon as I hit that point, I couldn’t help but smile.  Seeing my teammates and strangers lining the course and cheering for me was like nothing I have ever experienced.  It was one of those moments I wish I could capture in time, because it was an extraordinary feeling.  

After the race, I felt a mix of emotions- relief, joy, excitement, shock.  The best part was seeing my teammates’ and coach’s reactions afterward.  I was happy to have made them so proud, and I couldn’t wait to call my parents and family to let them know how I did.  They are my biggest fans and support, and I knew they were anxiously waiting to hear how the race went.

DtB:  What are your plans for track season? 

CD: I plan to continue to race with The Minnesota Running Club for indoor and outdoor track season this year.  I’m a little less experienced with track, as last year was my first year running track races.  We tend to stay in the Midwest for traveling during track season.

DtB:  What are your plans after you graduate?  Any job prospects yet? 

CD: I’ll be finishing up my Master’s for Speech Language Pathology this coming May.  I am currently doing a traineeship at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center where I have the privilege of working with the unique population of veterans while providing assessment and treatment for various communication disorders including TBI, dysphagia, voice disorders, cognitive impairment, aphasia, spinal cord injury, head and neck cancer, and those using AAC.  

I truly enjoy being in this setting, and hope to work in a hospital or VA Medical Center somewhere following graduation.  I am just starting to apply for jobs now.  While I would like to stay in Minneapolis following graduation, I am open to moving to another state if it’s necessary for the job I want. 

DtB: You said last year that you’d like to continue your competitive running wherever you end up?  Is that still the plan?  If so, how do you see that fitting into life in the “real world?”

CD: I do plan to continue running competitively in the future.  This year was the first year that I felt comfortable, confident, and calmer racing, which made it a much more enjoyable experience.  I have always been a competitive person, I love the comradery of racing with a team, and being a part of the running community in general.  

Many of my life plans are up in the air right now, but wherever I end up, I plan to join a running club.  Throughout my undergraduate and graduate school education, I have been extremely busy and involved in a variety of things.  I have always still been able to find time for running.  It’s about prioritizing things and working to find balance in life.  While I know I will still be busy following graduation once I enter the “real world”, I know I can still find time for running with some planning and prioritizing. 

DtB: You noted that you were still a “relatively inexperienced runner.”  What have you learned about yourself, about running now that you have another year of experience?

CD: One of the things I have realized about myself is that I’m a little non-traditional as far as training goes for runners.  The majority of my workouts this season, I did based on time and how I felt (tempo runs and hills versus mile repeats, etc.).  

I found that I was faster and more rested physically and mentally this season rather than burned out as a result.  In addition to this, I backed off on my weekly running mileage and increased my cross training this year, which seemed to help my performance and reduce my injuries.  I have also learned the importance of mental preparation for racing.  

Like I mentioned previously, I always choose a person or a cause to race for, which greatly inspires me and motivates me during races.  I also tend to briefly visualize how the race will go in my head while I’m warming up.  Lastly, I often choose a Bible verse to think about during the race and always say a short prayer before I’m at the start line.   

DtB:  Are there any experiences involving running that stick out, that are more memorable than others?

One of the experiences that sticks out most to me from running was during my last year of undergrad at the U of MN.  I was racing the NIRCA Regional Meet in Ames, IA and my entire immediate family, and many members of my extended family were there.  My racing season had been disappointing for me that year, and this race was similar.  

I had extreme anemia that season, but I was unaware of it at the time.  I eventually ended up having to get an iron infusion to restore my physical health. I remember my family members cheering for me all over the course during this race, and that my breathing became so labored I wasn’t sure I would be able to finish. 

 It was a humbling experience for me that year, as I raced minutes slower than usual and struggled to just finish races.  While this was a low point in my racing career, I vividly remember my teammates and family being supportive of me during this race and after.  It was a moment where I realized that my performance racing didn’t ultimately matter to them.  While they hope that I do well since it’s important to me, they love me completely just the way I am- whether I race fast or slow. 

DtB:  You also said that you enjoy working with kids.  Are there potential opportunities there?

CD: I do greatly enjoy working with kids.  I have working with kids both clinically as a Speech Language Pathology Graduate student clinician, and in the Fluency Lab and Learning to Talk Lab at the University of Minnesota.  I’m uncertain if I will work with kids as a Speech Language Pathologist initially, since I have appreciated working with adults at the VA Medical Center this year and hope to pursue a similar career next year.  However, I have an interest in coaching middle or high school kids for track and cross-country in the future.  I am also interested in volunteering with the organization Girls on the Run. 

DtB:  Any more trips, like the one to South Africa?  Any planned for the future?

CD: While there are no current trips planned to South Africa or elsewhere, I do plan to go on more trips like this in the future.  My heart’s desire is to return to South Africa and to travel to other countries as well.  Traveling to South Africa a few years ago greatly impacted my life and shaped how I view things today.  Following graduation, I hope to investigate and plan another trip soon.  

DtB:  Don’t know if you’ve been following the career of Annie Bersagel, who won the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon in 2013 and also works full time in Norway while she’s training to compete in the Olympic trials.  Any aspirations for a busy life like that?

CD: It’s so inspiring to hear stories of other successful runners who lead busy lives! I plan to have a busy life now and in the future.  I have always had a variety of passions and interests, and I plan to continue to pursue them following graduation.  

Currently, I am taking classes and studying for our graduate school comprehensive exam, working at the VA Medical Center part time as a clinician, working in two research labs at the U of MN, teaching yoga sculpt and cycling classes at CorePower Yoga, running with the U of MN running club, and staying involved at my church, Hope Community Church.  

I plan to stay involved with many of these activities following graduation and to start volunteering more in the community again with organizations such as Girls on the Run and Breaking Free.  At some point, I also hope to find balance with my busy life and a family of my own.  In the meantime, I look forward to the challenge of finding new balance and rhythm with my life next year with all of the changes I will undergo in the next few months.


No comments: