Thursday, July 24, 2014

Masters News: Susan Loyd

Susan Loyd reports from the USATF Masters Championships last weekend in North Carolina and wants to make people aware of the Minnesota Senior Games on August 2:  "the Minnesota Senior Games on August 2, 2014, at St. Thomas University will allow walk-up(entries)  for the first time ever! And, people who are 49, but who will turn 50 before December 31, 2014, CAN participate and qualify."

On her Nationals experience:
"It was a difficult Nationals for me due to a terrible knee injury. I could run, but I could not get out of the blocks, and limped my way through most of the competition. I really was lucky to make it to the finals in all my three events, and to be able to hold things together just enough.

I placed 4th in the 400m -1:15.25, 6th in the 100m with 15.87 and 7th in the 200m with 33.67. 

USATF is now recognizing relays in five year increments. And, my W55 4X100 Non-club team (Susan Loyd, Karen Maxwell, Vicki Fox and Cheryl Bellaire) set a new American Record at 60-69. (Fortunately, I ran anchor.....no blocks!)   Our W50 (not W55) 4X400m non-club team got silver with a 5:05.04 mark. (We had one gal on our team who was 50, so we had to run down).

The meet was so much fun, despite my injury. For the most part, things ran on time, and the weather was almost perfect. Jim(Schoffman), Tom (Langenfeld) and Sherwood (Sagedahl)looked great and had success. I always love competing with them. They are such an inspiration."


No comments: