Monday, January 06, 2014

Cold Weather Running

US Olympian Benji Durden
demonstrating the
benefits of facial hair
As the weather is on the extreme edge this winter, thought I'd try a bit of participatory journalism.  There are different approaches to dealing with extreme temperatures, snow accumulation, ice patches on the roads or sidewalks.  What solutions do Minnesota runners use to protect exposed skin?  Or do you merely choose to run indoors on a treadmill?

Give us your feedback.  Stories from the frozen tundra.  If we get enough of the collective wisdom of our audience, we'll put together a summary of experiences, adaptive strategies, etc.  Send your stories, tips, photos like the one of Benji Durden(left), etc. to downthebackstretch@gmail.com.  If you want to talk about it, instead of write it, send me a phone number with the best time to reach you.

3 comments:

Nathan D.H. Freeburg said...

The obvious answer is layers, but in recent years I've found that investing in a high quality, winter running jacket is worth every penny. I used to wear 5 or 6 layers, now I'm down to 3. On the coldest of days I wear a compression mock turtle neck, dry fit mid layer, and a Nike Elements Shield. Keeps me warm down to zero!

My complete list of winter gear can be found here.

jdf said...

Thanks. Good suggestions.

jdf said...

"Clip and paste this link in your brwoser for some winter running tips from John Davis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twDnRm94P34