Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Triumph and Heartbreak in the D2 Shot Put

It pays to remember that, in the zero-sum world of wins and losses, one person's triumph is another person's heartbreaking defeat.

Ask Bemidji State's Sheena Devine (pictured) ... or better yet her NCAA Championship rival Jessica Selby-Tallman of Missouri Southern University.

At last weekend's NCAA Division II Indoor Championships in Mankato, for the second straight year, Selby-Tallman led the women's shot put going into the final round of competition. Just as she did at the 2007 championships in Boston, she even improved upon her competition-leading mark on her final throw.

And, remarkably, in both cases, Selby-Tallman finished the competition in second place. In both cases she was defeated by a even bigger final-round throw from Bemidji State's Devine.

In 2007, Devine launched a 51-0 1/4 throw to better Selby-Tallman's 50-6 3/4 . Last Saturday, Devine, a North Branch native, sent the shot 52-2 1/2 from the toe-board to beat Selby-Tallman's 50-9 1/2 throw. With the throw, Devine capped an undefeated season with what is her third consecutive NCAA indoor title.

Triumph!

Devine told the Bemidji Pioneer, HERE: “This championship feels good, I had my doubts at first but it feels very good. Coming into my last throw I was thinking that this is my last indoor throw ever and I want to keep my title of being undefeated so I went in and gave it all I had."

And, heartbreak ...

Selby-Tallman's coach Patty Vavra told the Joplin Globe, HERE: “Jessica is disappointed, but she competed well. She got beat by a better thrower who is obviously very good in the clutch. ... It was evident those two were the best throwers in the meet.”

Photo courtesy of Bemidji State University.

No comments: